THOR Assist: 011 450 0530
Thor Insurance Brokers (Pty) Ltd Privacy Notice and Policy
Thor Insurance Brokers (Pty) Ltd Privacy Notice and Policy
Thor Insurance Brokers (Pty) Ltd (‘We’, ‘us’ and ‘our’) cares about the privacy, security and online safety of our customers’ (‘you’ and ‘your’) personal information. We take our responsibility to protect your personal information very seriously. This notice explains how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information, as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA). Using our services and any disagreements about your privacy are subject to this notice.
As our business grows and changes, we may need to update this notice to reflect those changes. If changes affect you personally, we will try and contact you directly because it is important to us that you understand at all times how your personal information is used. Please make sure that we always have your latest contact details.
The meaning of processing your personal information
To help you understand this notice, we include the explanations of the terms ‘personal information’ and ‘processing’ as used in POPIA:
- Personal information means information relating to an identifiable living natural person or existing juristic person. Some examples are: race, gender, marital status, nationality, age, physical or mental health, disability, language, education, identity number, telephone number, email, postal or street address, biometric information and financial, criminal or employment history.
- Processing means any operation or activity, whether automated or not, concerning personal information, including: collection, receipt, recording, organisation, collation, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, alteration, consultation, use, dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form, merging, linking, as well as blocking, degradation, erasure or destruction of information.
Why we process your personal information
As an Authorised financial services provider and in our role as an intermediary, we collect and process personal information mainly to assist our clients in obtaining the best suited insurance cover and delivering our ongoing services accordingly.
We have to process some of your personal information in order to provide you with our products and services, and also as required by insurance, tax and other legislation. For example: When we provide financial services to you as an insurance intermediary, we collect your name, contact information and payment information to complete the transaction. We are committed to collecting only the information that we need, and we will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you.
Wherever possible we collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details.
Your personal information is also gathered through our website and other channels we use to distribute, communicate, and deliver our services. We use your personal information in order to do the following:
- identify you
- assess your insurance needs
- process your requests or instructions
- manage your insurance policy
- follow the laws of South Africa
- detect and prevent fraud
- offer other related products and services to you
Because of the nature of our business, we sometimes use other parties like our service providers and administrators who in turn process your personal information.
When we share your personal information
In order to provide our products and services to you, we may share your personal information with other insurers, industry bodies, credit agencies and our service providers.
These are some examples of when we will share your personal information:
- Where necessary to carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract.
- When required by any regulatory authority, such as The Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA).
- When required by legislation or any legal process.
- To protect and defend our rights and property, including our intellectual property.
- When you have given us direct permission to do so.
We will never sell your personal Information or share it with other parties for their own marketing use, unless you have given us direct permission.
Some information is automatically collected
When you use our digital channel like our website, we receive and store information generated by your activities (usage data gathered by cookies) and other information that are automatically collected from your browser or mobile device. Most of this data is generally not personally identifiable. However, some of this data, either alone or when linked with other information, may allow your identity to be discovered. We treat this combined data as personal information and we protect it accordingly.
- Cookies are small text files that are created when you view a website. They gather usage data which includes information about the sites you visited, the number of times you visit, the date, time and length of your visit, which products or services you viewed and which areas of the site you visited. We may assign you one or more unique identifiers to help keep track of your future visits.
- Other information automatically collected may include your IP address, browser type and version, preferred language, geographic location, wireless or Bluetooth technology on your device, operating system and computer platform.
How we protect your data
We take every reasonable precaution to protect your personal information (including information about your activities) from theft, unauthorised access and disruption of services. Our security controls are designed to maintain an appropriate level of data confidentiality, integrity, and availability. We regularly test our website, systems, and other assets for security vulnerabilities.
However, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you willingly disclose online. Please note that we process and collect your personal information when you use our website, contact us electronically or complete a quotation or application form online.
Receiving marketing from us
We like to keep our customers informed of the latest products and services offered by us and/or our product suppliers (i.e. Insurance companies).
Note that even if you choose not to receive marketing from us, we may still communicate with you regarding things like security updates, product functionality, responses to service requests and for other transactional or administrative purposes.
Accessing, changing or removing your personal information
You may ask us to access, change or remove your personal information from our records. If legislation allows, we may charge an administrative fee, but we will always inform you of any cost before performing your request.
If you have any questions, or you want to update your personal information or preferences, please contact our Information Officer, Roger Morello, on the details below:
|Postal address||Physical address|
|PO Box 298||3 Riley Road|
|Bruma||Unit 18, Bedfordview Office Park|
|Tel: (011) 450 0530|